Will I Get My Immigration Bond Fee Back? A Guide to Immigration Bond Refunds

Did you know that there are more than 200 immigrant prisons and jails in the United States?

No wonder that loved ones are finding themselves in a situation where they have to bail their relatives or friends out on bond.

You paid the bond, but will you get a refund? We hope so.

Keep reading to learn what you need to do to make sure you get your immigration bond money back.

Will I Get My Immigration Bond Fee Back?

The immigration bond fee is the money that was paid to release a detained person on the condition that they will attend all immigration court hearings. After Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detain a person they set the bond amount if they’re eligible for a bond. The bond amount is based on how much risk it will be to the public if this person is released.

The riskier the higher the bond amount. Whoever pays the bond amount is entitled to get their money back if the person shows up to their court hearings and complies with the orders given by the judge.


After the detention release if the individual that was detained obtains legal status in the United States or is deported it meets the conditions of the bond and triggers a bond refund with its cancellation. Once it’s canceled ICE send the ICE Form I-391 to the DHS Debt Management Center in Vermont and to the person who provided the bond at the address they provided at the time.

It’s good to keep in mind that if you paid for the bond if you ever move you want to fill out Form I-333 (Obliger Change of Address). This will ensure that you will receive notice of the cancellation when it happens. Once the person receives Form I-391 it has to be sent back with the receipt of the bond, along with a cover letter with a request for the refund.

Lost Your Receipt?

If you have lost or misplaced your original receipt there’s another form you can fill out. You can fill out Form I-395 and have it notarized in replacement of the misplaced or lost receipt.

Designate a New Party

If you decide that you want to designate someone else to receive the bond back you can fill out a form which will be like filling out a power of attorney. The form will specify who can receive the bond money back once it’s available to be returned.

If in the future you change your mind and want to not have that person receive the bond money back you can fill out a form to revoke the original form assigning the designation to them.

You’re Not Alone

It might be a scary situation helping out someone you love and care about that has been detained. It’s important to know you’re not alone during the process. Seeking professional help from someone who understands the law will make everything less overwhelming.

Are you looking to have questions answered about an immigration bond? Contact us 24/7 to help give you peace of mind.